Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Education of Bet


This book I really did like until... I got to the ending. But first here's what's on the inside flap courtesy of Amazon.com
When Will and Bet were four, tragic circumstances brought them to the same house, to be raised by a wealthy gentleman as brother and sister. Now sixteen, they’ve both enjoyed a privileged upbringing thus far. But not all is well in their household. Because she’s a girl, Bet’s world is contained within the walls of their grand home, her education limited to the rudiments of reading, writing, arithmetic, and sewing. Will’s world is much larger. He is allowed—forced, in his case—to go to school. Neither is happy.
So Bet comes up with a plan and persuades Will to give it a try: They’ll switch places. She’ll go to school as Will. Will can live as he chooses. But once Bet gets to school, she soon realizes living as a boy is going to be much more difficult than she imagined.
  
     The plot was nice and original; you don't see many books about girls masquerading as boys to get an education now a day, it's mostly vampires and werewolves. Lauren Baratz-Logsted did do a good job with portraying the era and used the right amount of suspense, wit, and funny, yet embarrassing scenes to carry the reader forward in the story. Then came my problem with the book; the ending.
     When I read a book, I do like a happy ending, but the character has to earn it. This book was 185 pages long. I would have still bought it if it had been 200 or 250 ( even 450!) pages long.  The ending felt like the protagonist got everything riped up under her feet and before it can register in her brain the bad guy comes back and gives everything back with a pat on the back and an apology. I sat there after I finished the book and thought you gotta be kidding me, that's it?!.  Bet hadn't earned it yet. She still needed to wallow in misery for a few extra pages so that i felt she deserved a happy ending.
             So...... I give it three stars. I like it and would recommend if you want to read in your hammock all day, but it wasn't the best.
By Daisy 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment