Sunday, February 13, 2011

Dark Mirror

Dark Mirror (Dark Passage, #1)
Lady Victoria Mansfield, youngest daughter of the Earl and
Countess of Fairmount, is destined for a charmed life. Soon she
will be presented during the London season, where she can choose a mate worthy of her status.

Yet Tory has a shameful secret—a secret so powerful that, if
exposed, it could strip her of her position and disgrace her family forever. Tory’s blood is tainted…by magic. When a shocking accident forces Tory to demonstrate her despised skill, the secret she’s fought so hard to hide is revealed for all to see. She is immediately exiled to Lackland Abbey, a reform school for young men and women in her position. There she will learn to suppress her deplorable talents and maybe, if she’s one of the lucky ones, be able to return to society.

But Tory’s life is about to change forever. All that she’s ever
known or considered important will be challenged. What lies
ahead is only the beginning of a strange and wonderful journey
into a world where destiny and magic come together, where true
love and friendship find her, and where courage and strength of
character are the only things that determine a young girl’s worth.
*******
Dark Mirror was a nice young adult "debut" novel for M.J Putney. Writing for adults is slightly different than writing for teens. But she pulled it off nicely. The only thing that I surprised me about this books was time travel... TIME TRAVEL!!!! I guess the cover hints at it, but my brain didn't make the connection. Although I'm not a big fan of time travel, it made for a interesting read. Two different wars to fight, magic to hide and to use in secret, and a sweet romance. But, the romance isn't that big in the story. Don't expect a lot from in that department. And I for one enjoyed that it wasn't the main focal point of the story like most YA today. My only compliant is that the characters weren't as real to me as... let's say Cassandra Clare's characters in Clockwork Angel. I didn't feel as if I knew them that well and it made them a little fuzzy. Good book and I'll have my eyes out and my ears open for the next installment.

Read, Write,  Love
Daisy

No comments:

Post a Comment